Over the years SCAN has been involved in a myriad of initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Setting up a Facebook group
- Public Screening of climate change/environment videos to raise awareness
- Participation in climate change demonstrations and marches
- Radio interviews
- Operating a street ‘stall’ – Let’s Talk Climate - providing climate and environmental information for the public
- University of the Third Age presentations
- Submissions to central and local government
- Letters to members of parliament
- Newsletters covering topical issues
- SCAN took a lead role in mounting the 'Future Living Dunedin' festival (8th July, 2018). There were over 100 registrants for the event bringing people together from many organisations for a day full of workshops and presentations
- Liaison with like-minded groups
- Visits to enterprises that are working on climate change matters
- Letters to the Otago Daily Times Editor
- Creation of a video: 'Thriving within planetary boundaries'
- A comprehensive submission to the Ministry for the Environment Emissions Reduction Plan: 'Thriving within planetary boundaries Net zero emissions by 2030'
- Setting up this SCAN website
- Research to gain a better understanding of the issues
SCAN also acts as a strong mutual support group to share concerns and ideas, and help facilitate and network with other like-minded people and groups.