Over the years SCAN has been involved in a myriad of initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Setting up a Facebook group
- Public Screening of climate change/environment videos to raise awareness
- Participation in climate change demonstrations and marches
- Radio interviews
- Operating a street ‘stall’ – Let’s Talk Climate - providing climate and environmental information for the public
- University of the Third Age presentations
- Submissions to central and local government
- Letters to members of parliament
- Newsletters covering topical issues
- SCAN took a lead role in mounting the 'Future Living Dunedin' festival (8th July, 2018). There were over 100 registrants for the event bringing people together from many organisations for a day full of workshops and presentations
- Liaison with like-minded groups
- Visits to enterprises that are working on climate change matters
- Letters to the Otago Daily Times Editor
- Creation of a video: 'Thriving within planetary boundaries'
- A comprehensive submission to the Ministry for the Environment Emissions Reduction Plan: 'Thriving within planetary boundaries Net zero emissions by 2030'
- Setting up this SCAN website
- Research based on the most up to date peer reviewed publications published in top ranking international journals and reputable organisations such as the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the United Nations.
SCAN also acts as a strong mutual support group to share concerns and ideas, and help facilitate and network with other like-minded people and groups.